Justice of the Peace

Justices of the Peace have basically five categories of responsibility:

Elections.  Justices of the Peace are members of the Board of Civil Authority (BCA).  Members of the BCA serve as election officials at town or statewide elections.  Justices are also responsible for delivering absentee ballots to voters at election time.

Tax Abatement and Appeals.  Justices of the Peace sit as members on the town Board of Abatement to determine whether a taxpayer's tax obligation should be forgiven under certain circumstances.  Justices of the Peace also serve an important role in the town's tax appeal process.  As a member of the Board of Civil Authority, justices sit to hear and decide appeals when citizens do not agree with the final decision of the assesors.

Marriages and Civil Unions.  Justices of the Peace may also solemnize marriages and may certify civil unions in Vermont.

Oaths and Notary.  Justices of the Peace may also administer oaths in all cases where an oath is required, unless the law makes a different provision.  A Justice of the Peace is a notary public ex officio and has all the acknowledgment powers of a notary public.

Magistrate.  Justices of the Peace may also serve as a magistrate when so commissioned by the Supreme Court.

You can reach a Justice of the Peace by contacting the Town Clerk at (802) 368-7887.

Quick Links

Town Departments Listing
Town File Cabinet

Visit our File Cabinet for announcements, forms, records, and reports — all in one handy place. You'll find Agendas and Minutes, Annual Reports, Application Forms, the Town Charter, Election Results, Ordinances, and Policies.